Four years ago we converted our entire front yard into a garden for our botany course. We had originally planned for it to be a butterfly garden, however after pricing out the specific plants, and taking into consideration the very large bird population in our neighbourhood, it became just a regular garden.
The first year was all flowers. The second year we added some vegetables. Last year was more vegetables than flowers. This year we have gone back to flowers, this time in different levels of raised beds.
This is what the garden looked like originally.
This is what it looks like now.
We have a Lilac tree – that just decided finally to start growing this year (you can see the difference in the tree between the before and after pictures above – in the top right corner of the garden)
We had a strange plant growing in this area, and after taking pictures and posting on our local Garden place facebook page – we found out these are Sweet Williams. Didn’t even plant them (to our knowledge).
Also in the back corner is a Black-eyed Susan plant, and in the front are two Lily plants. All of which were transplanted from near the deck.
This is a new plant – a Japanese Karria – there were lots of beautiful yellow flowers on it when it was planted – but we got hit with a freak 5 minute hail storm and they all got destroyed. Hoping it will blossom again next year.
This is rhubarb. It wasn’t supposed to go into the front garden, but it needed a home before it died. So it will reside here until we transplant it to our back vegetable/fruit gardens.
This is our transplanted strawberry plants. We moved half of the plants from the back yard last year and they have flourished so well in the front. The cage is to keep the pesky squirrels and our daughters little fingers away from all the sweet berries. Today was our third day harvesting, and we were able to make a small jar of jam from them. Mmmmm.
This little bed is home to Marigolds in the middle, and around the edges was supposed to be another flower, but unfortunately none of the seeds germinated or grew.
This was a 1 foot high raspberry plant with only 1 stock 2 summers ago. Last year it was about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide. This year it has exploded. The stems are growing up ALL over the place in this corner, so I had to do some transplanting of my flowers before they got choked out. Looking forward to a sweet harvest this year !
These are Moon Flowers. For some reason they ALL grew up out of the ground with holes in the leaves. Even before they uncurled, I could see what looked like “chewed” holes. I am hoping that they still grow.
This bed is made up of Sunflowers in the back, Marigolds in the middle, and a mix seed pack along the front edge. What you see here are the sunflowers growing from the seeds that we harvested from our plants last year. What you do not see is all the holes behind them, where the squirrels dug up all the NEW sunflower seeds we purchased this year. (I wasn’t sure if our harvested seeds would grow.) As of today there is now a plastic fencing draped over this area because the squirrels keep digging and eating these poor little plants.
These are Gladiolus flowers. I dug them up last fall to store them away for winter BUT I forgot them outside. They survived the winter and started to grow again, so I transplanted them here.
These are our Wild Garlics that we brought home last year – 1 little bulb – and it exploded into this growth this year. Now to learn how to harvest the garlic.
The newest edition to the garden – Rio is all the label said. They are so pretty.
And that is where we are at with the front garden now. My husband sort of begged me not to plant corn again this year, so in exchange he built me some great boxes in the back yard where we are now growing Tomatoes, Catnip, mixed Lettuce, Green Peppers (the squirrels already ate the first few growths!), zucchini, Cucumber, Potatoes, and Peas.
Let the growing continue !